Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: "Carleton, Sam" <Sam.Carleton@FMR.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 12:04:36 -0400

Dave,

Long ago I tried shooting with zooms, I hated it!  I found myself zooming
all the way in or all the way out.  I also found myself losing the image
because I spend too much time zooming and not enough time focusing on the
subject.  My Nikon bag contains all AF today: 18mm, 35mm, 85mm, 105mm, 180.
I also have a 60 Micro and a MF 300 f/4.5 EDIF.

One advantage I have found not using zooms is that you think a bit more
about the image you are trying to capture.  There have been times when I had
the 35 on the camera, first thought I needed to go to the 18 but after
thinking about realized the real image was with the 105!  To make up for the
lack of zooms, I have developed the habit of rotating the camera to get that
extra bit of information into the image.  I would be willing that more then
half my images the camera is rotated more then ten degrees.

I just got my M6 TTL at the beginning of this month.  If memory serves, when
I read the manual it stated that the frames where a bit tighter at infinity
then what was going to be on the negative.  The reason for this, I believe,
was so that the close ups did not show more then what was going to be on the
negative.

Sam