Subject: RE: [Leica] Digital cropping
From: "Carleton, Sam" <Sam.Carleton@FMR.COM>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 09:22:35 -0400

- -:> At 11:56 29-05-01 -0500, you wrote:

- -:> But is cropping good or bad? I always feel as
- -:> though I missed the mark -- i.e. got lazy in my
- -:> seeing -- if I have to crop. Just curious as to
- -:> what other people think

- -:> I agree with you. If I have to crop then it
- -:> ain't right!

- -:> Gerry

- -:> What if you had a potentially *great* shot, were
- -:> it not for that eye-catching blob in the lower
- -:> left corner - would you crop it out, leave it
- -:> in, or just not print the neg?

- -:> Guy

- -:> And aren't you already cropping (reality) when
- -:> you compose the shot?

Being one that crops tries never to crop 35mm, when the image was created
with my Nikons (F5 /F3HP), cropping is not exceptable.  Both the F5 and F3
shows you 100% of what will be on the neg.  I feel I should be skilled
enough to see it in the camera or to live with it.  My favorite image of a
series I did once had exactly that, an eye-catching blob.  I left it there
for a number of reasons.  The most important was that the other eleven
images where all full frame with the black border, it would have looked very
strange for one not to have the black border.  But there is also my personal
attitude, I should have seen it when I was shooting, even though I was
shooting fast.  The camera shows me the everything that will be on the neg,
thus I should see the blob before I click the shutter.  That is my job as a
photographer.

On the other hand, my M6 does not show me exactly want is on the neg.  I
don't have the control over what exactly is going to be on the neg like I do
with my two Nikon's.  I am more willing to crop, assuming it is not part of
a series.

Sam

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital cropping)