Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: Tri-elmar and Bokeh
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 15:45:15 -0700

Yes, I am a fan of nice and smooth out of focus areas. I like this in the
older lenses much better than the newer lenses. But I will probably like
something that many people dislike, and vise versa. I like Jazz, classical,
R&B, Rock & Roll, but I hate Dixieland.

Studying the physical properties of lenses such as sharpness, coma,
centering, etc, is cut and dried. Attempting to explain the "Bokeh" of a
lens is, basically, impossible unless you are Japanese and have been
studying the "look" of Bokeh for a long time.

I have read the (translated) Japanese lens reports where Bokeh is
evaluated. There is a whole language built around the phenomena. In order
to understand it, you have to have a working history with Bokeh. I didn't
understand it.

To put it in perspective, Félix, please explain in words that all LUGgers
will understand, what the Bokeh of the Tri-Elmar looks like.

It is much more than "a smooth blurred background" or a "harsh blurred
background."

Erwin is correct in making the simplest possible statements. Such as "old
lenses have a better Bokeh than new lenses."

Jim