Subject: [Leica] Re: Back from Singapore and Sydney
From: Cummer Family <cummer@asiaonline.net>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 18:15:56 +0800

Dear Luggers,
Got back from Sydney last evening. I had pleasant and interesting meetings
with Luggers in Singapore and Sydney. In Singapore had a drink with Lee and
Denny - both of whom attended the last LUG dinner in Hong Kong. They played
with my Hexar and we took pictures of each other and talked about scanning
films. In Singapore I spent part of one morning visiting recommended camera
shops and frankly didn't find much to interest me, except at Ron's, where
he had quite a wide selection of M and R in unusually good condition for
the tropics. Ron said he got most of his used equipment from the Middle
East. I didn't buy anything but it was fun to look. I think Singapore used
prices are still higher than Hong Kong even taking into account quality. In
Sydney, I carved out three hours from my meeting schedule and had lunch
with Andrew Nemeth, Rod Stuttard and Mark Wrigley. We put all the Leicas on
the table and Mark took a digital picture with his Canon G1 which he
promises to post somewhere! He also brought along a lovely over 1 million
M3 with a 50mm DR summicron as well as a IIIF with a collapsible Elmar - so
despite the digital - his commitment to Leica is clear. Andrew had his M6
with new motor drive wrapped in custom leather - but also showed some
interest in the Hexar - built in motor etc. Rod added his M6 with 35 Asph
and 75 'lux to the pile. We ate well and discussed recent LUG wars (which I
missed) and then took a short walk under the Sydney Harbour Bridge to take
some pictures before I went back to work. In Sydney visited some
recommended camera shops as well and except for an Elmarit 19mm R (sadly
without hood) I didn't see anything that was interesting enough for me to
flash the plastic. Aussie buyers of new Leica equipment have my sympathy -
new prices were very high compared to Hong Kong. I used the Hexar and my R7
to shoot a few rolls - mostly grin and grip with customers - and will have
the results back on Monday. Meeting Luggers adds a very pleasant dimension
to my travels and I am struck time and again what nice people they are!
Thanks everyone.
Howard.