Subject: Re: [Leica] To go 21 or 24mm - advice/opinions please...
From: Andrew Moore <dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 10:55:02 -0400 (EDT)

>   Now the rub - If I rationalise my outfit by selling off the Voigtlander
> lenses plus two Bessa R bodies, I should have enough funds to get hold of
> another Leica lens (hopefully new if I save my pennies as well), The problem
> is, do I go for the 24mm or  21mm lens?
> I love using the 25mm Voigtlander, but I would prefer it if the focusing was
> coupled to the rangefinder.  In my position, which of the two lenses would
> you go for?

Given the cost of either of the Leicas (21, 24), if you're undecied I
wouldn't advise buying either unless money simply isn't an issue.
You already know what 25 (24) feels like, and it sounds like that
lens't isn't ideal for you anyway, so consider selling the Voigtlanders
and buying a Voigtlander 21/4 to try out that length.  If it works out,
sell it and buy a Leica 21.  You'll probably get back alot of what you
spent on it, and what you don't get back is the cost of discovering what
you really wanted/needed.  If the 21/4 doesn't work out and you decide
that 25/24 was really better, sell the 21/4 and but a Leica 24.  Either
way it's probably still cheaper than buying the wrong Leica lens.

- --Andrew