Subject: Re: [Leica] film scanner recommendation
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 08:10:21 -0400

I've missed the beginning of this thread, and I'll likely miss the
remainder, but just because a printer can print at, say, 720 dpi doesn't
mean you should send your scanned images to the printer at that resolution.
  The printer requires many actual printing dots to reproduce one pixel
from the originating image.  So it is a waste to send a 720 dpi image to a
720 dpi printer.  For Epson printers using standard Epson drivers, the
usual rule of thumb is that the resolution of the image being printer need
not be more than 1/3 the maximum printer resolution.  Thus you will often
hear people quote 240 dpi as the maximum needed for image densities for the
older 720 dpi Epson photo printers.

dan c.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] film scanner recommendation)