Subject: [Leica] Re: 100mm as normal lens?
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 06:23:55 +1000

"Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> wrote:

>Given I've said my anti whining piece. ;-) Let me ask.    How many LUGnuts
>would consider using the R 100mm 2.8 macro or any 100 mm lens, as a "normal
>lens?"  Or as a better than 50mm for a broad base of shooting opportunities?

[snip]

>Any thoughts folks along the use of this lens?

Funny you should mention this, but I have just finished part
of a large project where I only used 2x R lenses - the 16mm
fisheye (for 360-degree VR images) and the 100mm APO Macro,
for the 'normal', detail images (which will be integrated
into the VRs).

Although I am a big fan of the 100mm, after five months and 50-odd
rolls of film through it, I am convinced that sharpness aside, it
isn't as contrasty and lacks the "punch" of my R or M 50mm Summicrons.

There, I said it.  I feel better now.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth

<http://4020.net>    -> photos, 360° panoramic vrs, sounds