Subject: Re: [Leica] Kyle's wedding photos - bokeh
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 21:07:35 -0400

Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com> wrote:

> I normally don't think very much of the Bokeh Cult, but looking
> at one of Kyle's wedding photographs...
>
> <http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/5-12-01-wedding/26.jpg>
>
> ... I noticed just how much bad lens bokeh can spoil an
> otherwise excellent image.  Brilliant composition, timing,
> sense-of-light...but now look at the three-cornered highlights
> in the background and the out-of-focus leaves on the table in
> the foreground.
>
> This was via a Canon 50mm f1.5 right?  Yeech.
>
> I guess a real-thing Summarit would have been better after
> all.  ;?)

Other than the funky triangular out-of-focus highlights I really like the
look of that Canon lens in these photos. That is, to the extent a lens'
signature can be conveyed via lo-res JPEG images. Applying some daubs of
selective blur in Photoshop or the like would fix things up in this
particular photo, assuming Kyle is interested in going that route (or, for
that matter, even cares about funky triangular out-of-focus highlights <g>).

- -Dave-