Subject: [Leica] Re: re-Black tape flavors
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 07:51:19 -0700

At 05:34 AM 5/17/01 -0700, Tristan Tom wrote:
>hmm.. i went to tom abrahamsson's Web site :
>
><http://www.rapidwinder.com/ >
>

>and guess what? there is *black tape* on all of his leicas pictured
>on his site...Mr. Abrahamsson himself is pictured there using an M6
>with black tape...

OK Tom... you got me on that one. His web site has an M6 with tape over the
dot. But in person, I do not ever remember seeing black tape on Tom's
cameras. And I've seen many of his cameras, many times. I even have a photo
of a "pile" of Tom's cameras and cannot find any tape. He has numerous
black paint cameras that look like taped cameras...

Oh well... my memory of the actual hardware is w/o tape. But that does not
change the facts of what I said. I guess I should have picked a different
"professional."

Harrison, Sal, Henning, do you guys use black tape?

I personally do not know anyone who tapes-up their camera (save Tom if it
is true.) And I know a L-O-T of photo folks and a L-O-T of specifically
Leica photo folks.

I also have a friend who was photographing with an M3. Chrome, no tape.
Children playing in the street. A big guy ran toward him, knocked him down,
and ripped off his waist pack and fled. My friend was laying there with M3
still in hand and his other lenses and cameras in a backpack slung over one
shoulder. Nothing got hurt. There was only gum, band aids, aspirin, Tums,
etc in the waist pack. The thief obviously didn't want a stupid P&S camera.
Perhaps thought the waist pack was a money belt.

So if you want to be safe, don't wear a waist pack.

People conjure up all kinds of imaginary scenarios. Just because they are
so tuned into their very expensive camera, they think that the rest of the
population knows what they have. So they try to hide it. Trying to hide
something is often times more conspicuous than simply being yourself and
not acting as if you are doing something illegal with something no one
should see.

Jim