Subject: Re: [Leica] Laithewaite and the motorcycle
From: Chuck DeSantis <cdesantis@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 15:16:39 -0500

on 5/15/01 14:53, Alan Hull at hull@telia.com wrote:

> I remember a massive discusion that occupied many acedemic minds
> regarding the question of how a high speed motocyclist can lean into a
> bend.  It was argued that as soon as the rider turned the handelbars
> into the curve, the pressesive action of the gyro effect on the front
> wheel would tend to throw the rider in the opposite direction assisted
> by centrifugal force.
>
> The solution to the problem was that as the rider approached the bend
> he actually steered momentarily in the opposite direction.  The
> gyroscopic effect then gave him the correct lean.  He then counteracted
> this gyroscopic effect by steering under himself to balance all the
> forces of gravity, centrifugal force, and gyroscopic pressesion.  All
> without a computer.  Incredible isn't it?

Actually, the rider does not change from the "counter" steering.  Many
experienced riders "body steer" by leveraging their own weight in the
direction of the turn, but the handlebars stay slightly turned in the
"wrong" direction throughout the maneuver.

The dynamics involved in riding a motorcycle are pretty cool, though a bit
counter-intuitive at times.

It does become second nature with just a bit of practise.

Chuck
- --
Chuck DeSantis
Crystal Lake, IL  USA