Subject: [Leica]Songs my grain magnifier taught me...Was Konicagate
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 00:47:11 -0000

If you REALLY want to find out how crappy your technique is just use a grain
focusing magnifier with a fine grain black and white film.

You will never again believe there is any such thing as depth of field and
you will swear that you have a constant case of the jitters!

The point is, very few photographers print thier own stuff and of those that
do, a large portion use high speed film almost exclusively.  For these folks
most of this discussion is esoteric.  Good is good enough.  (I won't get
into why they payed so much for just "good").

I have come to believe that the best overall optical performance comes from
the lens/camera combination that allows hand held use with a minimum of
system vibrations.  This rules out the SLR in most cases, and even the M is
not as recoil free as....(and I hate to say it) the CONTAX G....man, that
was painful.

Best wishes,
Dan States