Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Konica fiction
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 20:14:13 -0400 (EDT)

Maybe I misread that.  If corporate age is the only frame of reference,
Leica may be older.

From a practical standpoint, I don't care how long the corporate shells
have been around - since they're just names - it's carrying on the
business itself that is important.  Voigtlander is out; Zeiss has been out
of cameras for quite some time.  Even Leitz itself is out of the business.

By the corporate form, I could tell you my family is over 2,037 years old.
That doesn't mean I do anything that Lucius Arruntius Stella did one
hundred and two generations later (I am not the court poet to Octavian),
just that I'm a part of that line (well, I guess I am something of a
rhetor by trade).

Imagine seeing that footnote in your Jenney, Scudder, Bacon at a Jesuit
high school!

Time for a drink
Dante