Subject: Re: [Leica] Jupiter 85mm f2
From: "Dante A. Stella" <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:28:47 -0500

Well, I'm 6 for 9, which is not that far off, given the difference in sample
sizes.  1 really great one that was ultimately replaced by an 85 Nikkor.

I think the whole concept of "Horrid Illegal Japanese Thefts" is quite amusing.
The Soviets had no more right to German intellectual property than did the
Japanese.  The only difference is that the Soviets stole both the designs *and*
the Zeiss tooling (which apparently was used until it fell apart).  The Japanese
just read the optical patents and designed around them.

Having been able to compare a broad selection of HIJTs (of Zeiss) with HUSSRTs
(of Zeiss), I can say that, design for design, ripoff for ripoff that the more
expensive HIJTs are worth the money and the peace of mind of not compulsively
testing example after example.

Dante

Replies: Reply from "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net> (Re: [Leica] Jupiter 85mm f2)
Message from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Jupiter 85mm f2)