Subject: RE: [Leica] Bokeh controversy
From: "Dan Honemann" <ddh@home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:30:28 -0500

> I never could make sense of this.  From the above, one could be
> forgiven if
> one interpreted it to mean that (a) the Nokton lens has a Gaussian blur
> style bokeh, and (b) the 50mm Summilux lens has ni-sen bokeh.
>
> I seem to remember from Johnny's pictures (and other's) that the exact
> OPPOSITE is what you find.

I wondered the same thing, Martin, and started to feel that perhaps he
(Johnny) was describing more the bokeh characteristics of the 35 asph
summilux than the 50.  I see evidence of ni-sen bokeh in the 35 samples I
referred to in my previous post.  I always understoon the 50 'lux to have
more of the smoother bokeh you describe here as "Gaussian blur."

> Of course, complicating the matter further is the 'halo' effect: I had a
> 50mm f/2.8 Elmait in M-mount which had superb bokeh, but clearly exhibited
> halos around bright lights.  You wouldn't -- however -- have
> provoked ni-sen bokeh out of that lens if you'd slapped it until it was
> cross-eyed.

I take it you tried that approach?
:)

Dan