Subject: Re: [Leica] Split-offs
From: Steve Beyer <steve@beyerphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:44:16 -0500

Hi Ray and Jay,
    I have seen several pros who use Leica R as their system.  I think it is
more common in Europe than here in North America.  I am not sure that Leica
comes on the radar screen for most pros here.  I just purchased a R system
because I love the Leica glass.  I was one of the many who felt the Leica
claims were false until I used the glass and saw the results for myself. (I
guess you can call me Doubting Steven :-))  While I was trying to get my
hands around the R system, I tried to try on the camera and lenses.  I never
really was successful in this attempt.  Even when I drove an hour to attend
a Leica Days presentation, I was not able to see a 70-180 zoom or many of
the I would like to have lenses.  I think the lack of pro use is more
attributable to marketing than anything else.  Sure there are times when AF
is really needed and the pros that need that type of equipment won't come to
the Leica fold. I think if the Leica reps made the equipment readily
available to try the sales would go up. Sure the prices are a bit tough to
swallow but not that much out of the reach of the competitors Pro grade
glass and once you get the product into their hands I think solid feel and
smooth operation of the lenses would justify the added expense.  If you are
a pro you can't beat the passport warranty as long as the repairs are done
quick.

Steve