Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Steady as she goes there, lad [y]
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2000 18:53:46 -0700

Hey Ted - remember my M1 Garand comment way back- man, you sound locked and
loaded! :-)

Actually, from rifle target shooting experience, I had a heart beat that
always showed up through the scope as a regular bounce from 7 o'clock low to
1 o'clock high. With a sling around an artery in your arm and the butt near
an artery in your shoulder, it was amazing how much the heart shakes a
rifle.

Back in high school team shooting days, I learned bio-feedback before it was
a word that I know of. At least three days before a match, I would lay off
caffeine and go into calm-down mode.  Using various relaxation techniques, I
would slow my heart beat down and down some more. By the time I was on the
line, I was almost a zombie, but could fairly consistently squeeze off shots
between heart beats, insuring not just a 10, but a 10X ( X's were used to
break ties, which made all the difference at times, including an Oregon
State championship one year).

Eventually, I could speed up or slow down my heart rate at will, but have
lost most of that ability, since you're right, Ted - for shooting Leicas it
doesn't really have that much practical application.

Nevertheless, it never hurts to calm down, take a deep breath, and let it
half out before squeezing off that e-mail, er, shutter, I mean . . .

Best regards,
Gary
Tree LUGger