Subject: Re: [Leica] Which eye(s) do you use?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Sep 2000 09:41:55 -0700

Paul Fjelstad wrote:

> This is really basic, about the most basic technique question I can imagine:
> Which eye(s) do you employ when you use your M?<<<<<<<<<<<<  SNIP........

> What do you think about this, and what do you do? (Is there a standard I've
> been neglecting?)<<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Paul,
Well I only have the left eye with usable sight, so my "choice of eye"
was made before I got my first Leica many many years ago.

I understand we as humans generally have a "dominant eye," somewhat like
a person is either right or left handed and uses the hand/arm that is
dominant.  Similarly our eyes work the same with one  "dominant" and
that's the one most photographers seem to work with.

For years I was always frustrated using the M's with my left eye in the
viewfinder and necessary to remove the camera from the eye to advance,
therefore sometimes losing a good picture.

And although over the years I tried the Leica battery winders I never
took to them as they were too noisy and added weight.   However, Tom
Abrahamsson came to my rescue producing his famous RapidWinder.  Silent,
fast operation and since using it the camera never leaves my left eye if
I'm recording a "moving or action" type situation.

I don't believe there's any routine for eye use with an M camera, but
the most obvious is the right eye according to the position of the
viewfinder, as that allows the camera to stay put to shoot and advance
during any sequence of picture taking.

I'm sure you'll have many interesting comments on this.
ted
Victoria, Canada
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant