Subject: Re: [Leica] Need equipment suggestion
From: drodgers@nextlink.com
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 12:46:20 -0700

Richard,

>>If you could take only 1-2 lenses from an R or M system, what would you
take?<<

An M6 with a 35/1.4 ASPH Summilux and a 15/4.5 Heliar is a pretty versatile
combination, IMHO, and it's my pick for general photography. One advantage
the 35/1.4 ASPH has over my old 35/2 Summicron is that I can shoot 100 ASA
b/w film in situations where before I'd needed 400. I rarely used my 35/2
wide open, but I have no reservations using my 35/1.4 wide open. So, in
effect, I get at least two extra stops with the ASPH Summilux.That, of
course, is the difference between D400 and D100.

I find the slower film much better in the summer months, since I may be
shooting in sunlight more often. With D400 in daylight I'm forced to use
small apertures, which I really don't like to do. I don't like stopping
down more than f8. With D100 I can shoot at 1/500 f8, even in full
sunlight. Another reason I like using the slower b/w film is that I
normally use E100 for color. I know with internal metering using b/w and
color of the same speed is not as important as it was back in the days of
external metering, but it does make things more convenient.

Again, this is for general shooting. There are always exceptions. It always
happens that when I start planning for exceptions my kit grows in size. For
general shooting, less is more.

Dave