Subject: Re: [Leica] re: summicron 50 dr + m6?
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 11:16:28 -0700

Back in the old days, manufacturers limited close focus to about 10 times
the focal length or so because closer than that you need to compensate for
the extension in determining the exposure, but TTL metering did away with
that need.  That is also why medium format lenses did not focus close.

With rangefinders, parallax problems get worse.  With the Leica, the
rangefinders don't go closer than .7m or 1m on some (I am sure others on the
list can recite model numbers and perhaps serial numbers on that).  Even
with the lines moving to account for the parallax, there is a difference in
perspective -- where the background is relative to the subject -- that
moving the lines can't account for.

Also, as you move closer the frame lines should get closer together, but are
fixed.  There has been lengthy discussion on this on the LUG, and should be
in the archives.  Basically, as I understand it, and I am sure I will be
corrected if I am wrong, for all but the 90 and 135 lines, Leica gives the
frame lines for the closest focusing distance, assuming it is better to err
on the side of getting more than you see in the frame, rather than less than
what you see.  I used to have a FUJI GA645W which actually changed the size
of the frame lines, not just the position, as it focused closer, but Leica
apparently has not figured that one out.

Bottom line, if you do a lot of close up work, get an SLR with a 60 or 100
macro.  The wonderful R8 can even TTL spot meter any flash, not just TTL
flash, so all those crazy close-up flash contraptions can be used with TTL
metering.

Tom Schofield