Subject: [Leica] Re: Describing the visual difference
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:37:09 +1000

Nathan wrote:
> Justin,
>
> If YOU can see the difference, does it really matter if other can?

> My wife came by, glanced at the slides
> and said, "My God, they are so clear".

Hi Justin, Hi Nathan,

Yep, I see it too. Could it be the three dimensionality of images made
with Leica
lenses that distinguishes them?  Perhaps this comes from being able to
use the
lenses wide open, with a distinctly focussed subject that jumps out of a
beautifully blurred foreground and background.

But maybe it's best to let the pictures do the talking.  And people will convince
themselves.

I've just put some 8x12" enlargements into frames and placed them on the dining
room side table.  Taken with 35/1.4 Asph at 1.4 and 1/15th with an M6,
using Reala.
The pictures are of my mother teaching a nursery rhyme to my son who was
17 months at the time, sitting in the same old wooden high chair I sat
in at his
age.  His face is locked on hers; he's intent but smiling, you can see his
hands are moving but can still count his eyelashes.  Grandma is left of
frame and
in front of the focal plane, grandson is to the right and distinctly focussed,
while the background is the bokehed warm tones of my parent's dining room.

If I had a scanner, I'd let the pictures do the talking!  And what an
amazing lens
that 35/1.4 Asph is.

Regards

Rick Dykstra