Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:APO vs non-APO enlarger lense
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2000 08:42:17 -0500

When I bought my enlarger, I picked up a used first generation Schneider
Componon 50/4 (circa late 1960s?).  For a couple of years this is the lens
I used.  Prints looked fine with it.  Then I succumbed to the "Leica
disease", and decided that I must have the best, and bought a Rodenstock
Apo-Rodagon-N 50/2.8.  My prints made with that lens also look fine.  I
honestly see no difference.  I suspect that the apo lens will do a decent
job if used wide open at f2.8 (perhaps better than the older lens at its
widest opening of f4), but I never shoot at that opening, so in my case it
is a moot point.  Both lenses are optimized at 10x magnification, so I
don't think the argument that you might see a difference with huge prints
holds up.

I do like the newer lens and continue to use it for its modern conveniences
(also available in modern non apo designs) such as preset stops and lighted
aperture scales (missing from my old componon).  But from a performance
standpoint,  I highly recommend looking for a used componon (not componar
or comparon).

IMHO, enlarger alignment and critical focusing are the main factors
determining print quality.

Dan C.

ps....I parenthesize (spelling?) too often, sorry!