Subject: [Leica] venom transfer...
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 15:52:04 -0500

I won't speak for Thomas.... and... I don't know if it is most bites.... but
many bites do not result in venom transfer.... This was one of the main
problems Dr Guderian told me about doing an electrical shock first aid for
snake bites study... that and getting people to subject themselves to
snakebites and electrical shocks... : )

We've had several people come to our Shell hospital near the jungle to do
studies on snakebites...  Having seen the aftermath of bites in person as
well as on film..... (Certain venom causes the flesh to breakdown so the
snake can more easily swallow and digest it..... Imagine a half an arm and
hand with no flesh on it.... While the person is still alive non the less)
and well..

I really do hate snakes.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio