Subject: [Leica] Chromogenic nightmares
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 08:07:33 +0000

The downside of chromogenic films is that your negatives AREN'T
ARCHIVAL. Over the years I have heard so many horror stories I can't
even begin to tell you. We receive regular pleas for help at the
magazine from people whose chromogenic negatives are fading away. I've
seen examples that are almost gone. Bad fading can occur within 5 years.
It's true that some people report no problems after 15 years, but
others--MANY others--report the opposite. Personally, I wouldn't touch
the stuff with somebody else's ten-foot pole. If you expect or intend to
keep your negatives, BEWARE.

At the very least, do your own processing, and DO NOT trust a commercial
lab or a minilab.

- --Mike Johnston / Editor
_PHOTO Techniques_ magazine
www.phototechmag.com