Subject: Re: [Leica] Apo-Summicron-M 90/2.0 ASPH tested by CDI
From: "dominique pellissier" <noct@club-internet.fr>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 20:55:38 +0100

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Sunday, February 13, 2000 5:33 PM

> Are you looking at the same MTF charts that I downloaded from the Leica
> site?  The APO 90 MTF at f2 looks excellent, at least the way I interpret
it.

> Dan C.
>
> At 05:03 PM 13-02-00 +0100, dominique pellissier wrote:
> >>
> >################
> >On the official Leica site, there are some MTF tests.
> >If you see the test of the apo90, there is no doubt : at full aperture,
this
> >lens is not an absolute winner.
> >
> >Conclusion : don't buy the apo90 if you have the old90.

###########
Yes.
At full aperture, the contrast  is 52 %. At 5.6 : 72 %. Great difference.
By comparison (yes, i know, it's not very rigorous to compare lenses of
different focal lengths) the 2.8/180 apo gives 82 % at full aperture and 82
% at 5.6.
Now, let's see the CDI tests for these 2 lenses.
For the apo90 : good (center), good (edges) at full aperture and excellent,
very good at 5.6.
For the apo 2.8/180 : very good, very good at full aperture; same results at
5.6.
The 2 tests are corroborated.

Leica writes : " The overall performance measures up to the legendary LEICA
APO-MACRO-ELMARIT-R f/2.8/100 mm from the LEICA R system."
It's true. But not at full aperture for the 90.

I keep my elmarit 90...