Subject: [Leica] Now I'm OT
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2000 09:14:29 +0000

>>>One most also observe that social mobility works in both directions
in the
US--as elsewhere--think of the character of Hurstwood, so movingly
described in Dreiser's -Sister Carrie- (1901) or in endless other
examples.

Chandos<<<

Chandos,
The most telling critique of my erstwhile alma mater--Dartmouth--that I
ever read was that its main purpose is to help prevent downward
mobility.

Didn't work in my case (I'm an editor, which, as we all know, falls
somewhere between yeoman and serf in the hierarchy of the traditional
American social classes). But it generally rang pretty true to me,
twenty years ago at any rate.

- --Mike

P.S. I'm actually a "lazy editor, in class arguments." That doesn't
sound terribly eloquent, but the acronym of the phrase is "l.e.i.c.a.,"
which is as close as I can presently come to bringing this hopelessly
diffuse subject back on topic.