Subject: RE: [Leica] A more interesting question
From: Peterson Arthur G NSSC <PetersonAG@NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:13:51 -0500

In agreement with Dave, Paul, Ed, and others, it has to be Cartier-Bresson.
Many other photographers accomplished many other great things (technically,
aesthetically, as pioneers, as popularizers, and in other ways), but
Cartier-Bresson's photographs make him one of the truly unique artistic
geniuses of the century (along with people like Picasso, Stravinsky,
Faulkner, and few others).  Incomparable!

And Dave's mention of the idea of Cartier-Bresson's "weak portrait work"
leads me to add that I too had thought his portraits not only different in
style from his more typical work, but also not his best.  Yet a recent
viewing of the actual prints for the first time at the National Portrait
Gallery in Washington left me surprised to be astounded and even overwhelmed
by photographs I had already seen before in books (e.g., "Tête-à-Tête"), so
much so that I was compelled to go back several times and see them again!  I
would urge those who may find Cartier-Bresson's portraits "weak" to just
keep looking.  :-)

Art Peterson