Subject: [Leica] OT - Walker
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2000 18:58:37 +0000

>Is it OK to admit on the LUG that I just bought a 4x5 field camera (Walker
>Titan)?    I promise I'll still use my Leicas-see now it's on topic and I
>won't be drummed out of the corps.  I just got out of the darkroom after
>printing the first sheets I shot.  Tri-x in XTOL.  WOW!  Big juicy negatives,
>and talk about tonality.  These were all just test shots I took in my
>backyard.  I can't wait to start some more serious work.
>
>Richard Wasserman
>
>------------------------------

Richard, congratulations on your Walker!
One of my favourite possessions is my wooden Walker 5x4 (serial # 0007)
which lives in a battered canvas Billingham bag and exudes charm. It mainly
gets used for portraits, food and interiors. Polaroid 55 portraits are a
wonderful collaborative way to work with people, who often love to sit in
front of the Walker and participate in image making rather than "have their
picture taken".

I bought the camera about 10 years ago to replace a Japanese field camera
that got knocked over on a job and was too flimsy - didn't trust it anymore,
and the moment I saw the Walker I couldn't resist a handmade camera produced
by an individual rather than a factory. What's the serial number of yours?
- - how many cameras has he made now I wonder. Still regret selling my old
Sinar Norma kit though - for more technical things it was so nice to use.

Anyway, enough of sheets and things, back to miniature photography!

All the best
Alex

(ps - I worked on NY Eve, went to The Bank of England to photograph the Y2K
'Blue Room' bug monitoring centre  - they were all looking very bored as the
computapocalypse failed to materialise. I went around doing blurry things
with my M6/35mm/24mm/15mm trying to make it all exciting. At the front door
they said I could bring my pushbike in, I just leant it against the wall in
John Soanes' magnificient entrance hall - certainly the safest, most elegant
place it's ever been left in - unlocked too!).

                         alex@zetetic.co.uk
    http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~abrattell/