Subject: Re: [Leica] M3 dilema -- also ? about rangefinder adjustment
From: Andrew Moore <moore@rscs.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 1999 10:24:15 -0500 (EST)

> Here's the deal: I ordered a used single stroke M3 from a dealer in

Doesn't the M3 have an easy adjustment for this?  I think it involved
removing a cover plate and adjusting a screw.

My M6 is also vertically misaligned, but I sort of ignore it.  The photos
seem to come out just fine (I'm not speaking of the photographic talent
here).  I really should send it in to get corrected though.  Too bad it
requires a special tool (listening, Leica?).

> Will the mount loosen up on it's own? Is this something that can be adjusted

I wonder if you could use a light coating of that graphite lubricant
stuff, just to ease some of the friction.  As long as it stays only on the
metal mounting surfaces (i.e., not the shutter cloth etc.!) it should
help ease the friction.

> Also, is the vertical alignment on an M3 something a person can do themselves
> without disassembling the camera.?

See above.  Someone on the list should know more about this.