Subject: RE: [Leica] Journalistic principles
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@neteze.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 15:31:24 -0800

At 01:31 PM 11/28/1999 -0500, Marc James Small wrote:
>It is HARD to concentrate when you are a trial attorney;  it is even harder
>to stay focused as a judge.  The distraction of cameras is just plain evil
>and cheats our citizens of their first and fundamental right, that of a
>fair trial,

etc. etcl.

>Fuzzinon Film onto the floor.  Promise me COMPLETE silence and COMPLETE
>lack of flash and COMPLETE lack of, "LET ME OUT! LET ME OUT!  I have a
>deadline!" to a bailiff at a security station, as a casual attorney
>acquintance recently encountered somewhere in the mid-west --- might have
>been in St Louis -- and the judge went, "Tut, Tut.  Ten dollar fine for
>making a disturbance.  First Amendment, dontcha know?"

First of all, the rules in Missouri specifically say they must not make
distracting sounds. Do you require the clerks from the lawyer's offices to
make COMPLETE silence? Do you require the public in the gallery to have
COMPLETE silence? No. This is an inconsistent requirement above. Second of
all, in Missouri they are required to sit there (they can't even stand up
and sit down, but the lawyers, their minions and the public can) until a
break in the action. They certainly are not allowed to say anything, let
along scream "Let me out!"

And we're morons? I detect a straw man here.

Forget it. I'm through with this discussion. You are not open to the other
side's views.

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.neteze.com/ewelch

Artist seeks Boss with vision impairment.