Subject: RE: [Leica] What's it all about?
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 17:32:52 -0000

Godfrey Wrote
> What I love about the M6 that I
> just bought is
> that is becomes invisible to me, does not distract me, and
> does the job of
> recording the image I want, as I want it, without fuss >or bother.

 To which I would add...

I've been wasting a good deal of time lately think about what it is about
"this Leica thing." And I've come to the conclusion that there is something
about the Leica rangefinders that takes them beyond being cameras to being
extensions of my eyes and brain. I always carry an M now, and I don't even
think about it. I am not carrying a camera, I am simply giving myself the
ability to make pictures when and where I see them. This nothing to do with
the "magic" of Leica glass. Rather, it has to do with the fact that the M
does away with all the gimmicky crap of modern cameras, and leaves me with
the essentials - a frame to put around my picture, and a way to capture it.

All of which is a very windy way to say I agree with Godfrey.

B. D.

...And Dr. Blacktape agrees wholeheartedly with me and with Godfrey on this
point. ;-)