Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Acutol/Aculux and HP5+
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 1999 02:26:52 EST

In a message dated 02-11-99 22:58:47 GMT Standard Time, dkhong@pacific.net.sg
writes:

<< What's the difference between Acutol and Aculux in the quality that it
 produces in film development? >>

In this country (UK) Acutol used to be made by Paterson and is no longer
available.   My knowledge of US chemicals is not great but I have a feeling
that the Acutol you mention is manufactured by a US manufacturer whereas
Aculux is manufactured in the UK by Paterson and not generally available in
the US as they do not import chemicals (no distributor the last time I asked).

I now often use Aculux which I find to be a very good developer for all
films, producing fine grain and a very good tonal range.   Acutol (UK
variety) was also a good developer in its time but has been left behind by
modern formulations which give finer grain and better tonal range.

Gerry