Subject: Re: [Leica] More nattering from Rorschach
From: Pete Su <psu@esgear.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 07:56:39 -0400

DonjR43198@aol.com wrote:
> It would be enlightening if you would list each plastic part in the various M
> cameras that you listed above as well as the M-6.
>
> Don

I beg to differ. I would find nothing enlightening about this.

The whole modern obession with plastic versus metal is just so much more
boring irrelevant nonsense. Metal cameras don't take better pictures
than plastic cameras.

I dropped an all metal olympus OM-1 once, out of my back pack. It was
done and had to be rebuilt.

I've dropped my plastic Olympus Stylus Epic point and shoot out of my
back pack to concrete probably 3 or 4 times. It still works.

Intelligent use of plastics has allowed cameras to have fast built in
motor drives and other features while not paying much more in terms of
size and weight. Consider that the Canon Rebel 2000 actually with a lens
actually weighs less than a leica M body, and is smaller. I suppose it
is certainly less jewel like and arguably less robust, but very few
people (i.e. the pros) use their cameras hard enough that it would
really matter.

So, I'm wondering, can we stop obsessing over this yet?

Pete