Subject: Re: [Leica] Anthony's j'accuse
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 19:53:27 +0200

From: <RBedw51767@aol.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 1999 19:02

> I suggest that you run a line chart test of the lens at
> F2.8, F4.0 and F5.6 at different focal lengths and you will
> become disenchanted quickly.

I doubt it.  I've never had a need to take photographs of test charts, so how
well the lens puts them on film is more or less irrelevant.

> Compare the same test results to the Tarmon Apo 28-70 2.8
> and your will be sick.

See above.

> I didn't buy the Tamron but at half the price it is very
> attractive.

Tamron is a name I tend to associate more with low price than high precision,
but perhaps things have changed.

> ... there are Nikon lenses at one-third the price that
> will out perform the 28-70.

So how does Nikon manage to sell the 28-70?  It seems to be on perpetual
backorder, and I haven't seen any used copies around in the trade magazines.

What are the Nikon zooms that outperform this lens?

> In my 30 years using Nikon and Leica products this is the only
> lense that I have ever disposed of for poor quality.

Did you replace it, or just give up on it?  Maybe you got a bad lens.

I think my AF-S 28-70 is great.

  -- Anthony