Subject: Re: [Leica] The new Konica hexar RF; take a look
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:54:00 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 07:02

> Did I read that as the Japanese Diet has gotten more
> westernized; with meat replacing fish their life span
> has become shortened to match?

Japanese diets have improved over the years with the increasing affluence of the
country; I'd be surprised if their lifespans were growing shorter.  Seafood
contains a lot of salt, and this is thought to have an influence on CVD, so it
evens out.  In any case, the improved diet over recent decades manifests itself
in part in the increasing height of younger generations of Japanese.  They are
still fairly petite compared to most other nationalities, but no longer tiny as
they once were.  The increase probably represents Japanese actually reaching
their genetic heights without any restrictions on growth imposed by a poor diet.
This has happened in other countries as well, so the phenomenon is well known.

> Their diets becomes more high fat as their economy soars
> and then they start dropping like flies. Like US!

The U.S. has a poor life expectancy compared to many other developed countries.
France has a much higher life expectancy, for example, and here we cannot call
it a genetic difference, because Americans have the same European background as
Europeans themselves.

  -- Anthony