Subject: Re: [Leica] Concerns 70-180/2x extender
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 00:29:14 +0100

Alastair,

> The thing I don't understand is
> the utility of my 70-180 mm lens, and my 2x extender.

> All my other ROM lenses set the
> flash to an appropriate setting. On the 35-70 zoom, it changes the flash as
> I zoom past 50, but the 70-180 does not do this.

This is only partly true. With a METZ 40MZ-3,
the ROM of the 70-180 will lock the Flash head on 70mm.
And a 70-180 ROM + APO 2 X ROM will lock the flash head on 105mm.
This will avoid mistakes.

> In it, it tells me that the 1.4
> extender can be used in all modes, but the 2x "preferably with aperture
> priority or manual". Despite "additional electronic exposure compensation",
> it would seem that my 2x is not so hot on shutter priority or program modes
> -- quid enim?

There is no ROM version of the 1,4 X.
ROM have nothing to do with various program modes.

> Despite the 70-180mm lens proudly being "Unlimited use of APO-EXTENDER-R
> 2x. Kombination", it tells me that for this lens the extender ONLY works
> with aperture and manual modes, not even preferably [though it may only be
> abbreviated on this page]. There is no such limitation for the use of the
> 35-70 zoom

According to the APO-EXTENDER 2X' instructions it 'should not be used in
shutter
priority and automatic program mode because this could produce faulty
exposure'.
This is true with all Leica lenses, including your 35-70.
This is because of the mechanical link added by the 2X (even with ROM)
which may not transmit the correct aperture to the lens.
It may work or it may not. Leica don't want to certify it will always be OK.
All you can do, is to make some tests.

> Now I understand that the 1.4 pokes into the lens barrel and so its use is
> limited, but the others are all supposed to be electronic ROM linked etc
> etc. Have they left features out of the 70-180mm zoom ROM that are found in
> the 35-70 f4 version?

Yes, full flash zooming.
I think it's because the 70-180 was designed before the launch of the R8.
If you want a Tele-zoom fully working with flash, use the new 80-200/4 with
ROM.

Lucien