Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Special Edition M6s
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:03:52 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Mark,
>
> My reference to Leica's profit margin on the commemorative editions is based on an
> assumption that if the production cost of those is not much higher than that of a
> regular
> M6, and if Leica is earning a normal margin of, say, 30% on an M6, than we can infer
> that the production cost is $1000-1200. So, if they can sell the special edition for
> $3500
> then the margin would be something around 200%. Obviously, no knowing the exact costs
> I am just guessing here, but I am pretty sure that I am in the ballpark.
><snip>I have recently bought a nice 2.8/180mm Elmarit R and will add other
> long
> lenses as the wallet permits.
><snip>
> Nathan
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:><snip>

I would do a dueling short Tele test between the 135APOM and the 180R, put my
money is on the 135M but of course I'd be betting on my baby. But I would expect
it to blow it out of the water. Do you really think you've givin it a fair shot?
It has dazzled me unexpectedly.

Would all your lenses have to be in your camera bag at all times? I have a
Lowepro Macro and Mini for more and more edited outfits depending on need, mood
or bursitis. The 75 I don't know about it is a specialized M version of what it
can do telephoto wise that SLR's can't. But I can see your desire for the new 90
as Erwins tests I keep rereading and is making me feel the same.
Mark Rabiner