Subject: RE: [Leica] why leica?
From: "Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" <peterk@lucent.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 08:37:27 -0700

Gosh, everyone avoided answering this one directly.  I think the question
was why do pros rarely use Leicas, not why do you like your Leica camera.
Please read this and note it is written without sarcasm to avoid responding
with flames.....

While the M is a wonderful system, many pros moved to zoom lenses to avoid
lens clutter, which for the most part requires an SLR.  The Leica R SLR
lacks a built-in motor drive and has no focus tracking so sports photogs
(and many camera toting papparazzis) would tend to avoid it.  Next, there is
the price of optics.  Leica cameras are pricey, tend to be heavier (but are
rugged), offers no camera with built-in motor drive, and cannot easily be
rented should a pro need a 400mm F2.8 or 600mm F4 lens for a specific job.

Peter K