Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V9 #10
From: DAVE YODER <leica@home.com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 19:20:17 -0700

Ummm, Bernard,
The Serbs have just as much opportunity for "extremely gullible" press
coverage as the Kosovars, probably more since the refugee story is
getting "stale," but the Serbs choose not to take advantage of it for
very obvious reasons; they wouldn't come out smelling too good. Any
journalist would love to explore their side of the story but they for
the most part are not allowed. A few have been allowed access into
Kosovo itself, and the evidence of executions and forced mass ejections
are undeniable, even under Serb escort.

I'm idly curious about your description of the press, though. Exactly
how has the press been fooled by the Kosovars? By being sympathetic? I'm
been photographing a Kosovar Albanian refugee family that arrived here
from Kosovo a few days ago, and their grief is profound. The father
cannot maintain his composure at times, weeping uncontrollably because
his parents are still there and he has no idea if they are alive, or if
his house is still standing. If he and his family are is acting, one
doesn't have to be gullible to be convinced. It's a tangible terror that
even the most obtuse would feel when in their presence.

On a related note, looks like I might be going to Albania next week,
following a local woman who's going to try to rescue her in-laws
children who are in a camp and reportedly in danger of perishing. I
might have a sat-phone, and if I have my Leicas I'll drop a couple posts
to the LUG from there on how they're perfoming.

Dave Yoder