Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W filters
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 09:04:27 -0700

Edmond Kim wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> With all this talk of filters, I realized that I dont use filters on my
> lens.  I mainly shoot black and white.. well, actually, I've never put color
> film in my M2.  Is it common for people to shoot black and white without any
> filter at all?  If they do use one, what is a good general purpose filter? I
> read that some recommend a yellow (which? light, medium, dark?) filter and
> others a yellow-green one.  Also, the lens I'm using is a 40 summicron, and
> I think it's supposed to use a series 5.5.  Does B+W still make Series 5.5
> filters?   I think those are the questions I have..
>
> Thanks all!

I think Black and white work invites filtering more than color. There
are plenty of warm enough transparency films out now so that warming
filters are collecting dust. Color neg never needed it, I've tried them
and it just screws them up making printing impossible.
Cooling filters were almost never used except my hard core color
temperature meter using people. As you say Polarizers are great tools
but a pain on a rangefinder camera. Pros and very serious others have to
have their act together as to counteracting florecents. Sometimes
magenta filters are thus used instead of traditional FLD or FLB's and
green gels over the flash. I like to shoot my color with bare naked
glass 99.99% of the time. Using a Nikon I'll fool with polarizors in
color but that's really getting rare.
I never look at a scene (Black and White landscape) with out first
deciding what type of filtration to use. I might verge on too much but
landscapes go by you in a blur and I like mine with a little
sock-it-to-me. By the time you take off your sunglasses and get out of
your truck what have you got? Another better artist than myself could be
into the austerity of bare naked glass, For me there is nothing "real"
about black and white in the first place so why not give'm something to
thimk about? But as I'm emphasizing extremes the quickest way a black
and white shot will have no value is with a washed out to even white
sky. You need to retain tone and I like fluffy little cotton tufts and
strands in the stratosphere. But hey that's me. BHTM
Mark Rabiner
11751 to you buddy