Subject: [Leica] URGENT- PLEASE READ ABOUT COUNTERFEIT RING
From: NATIONAL CHECK FRAUD CENTER <cbruce@ckfraud.org>
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 17:48:34 -0500

			NATIONAL CHECK FRAUD CENTER
			NATIONAL CRIME ALERT NETWORK
			   POST OFFICE BOX 80171
			     811 CANARY DRIVE
			CHARLESTON, SOUTH CAROLINA
				  29414

TO: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us

The following information is being submitted by the National Check Fraud
Center (http://www.ckfraud.org/) and the National Crime Alert
Network (http://www.ckfraud.org/network.html).

			   SPECIAL CRIME ALERT

Our office is currently involved with a number of counterfeit check cases
which have taken place In the Brooklyn, New York area,  and we would like
to share with you with some vital information and make you aware of this
scam. Should you have any information regarding the below information,
please contact our office by either Phone, Fax, or E-Mail.

A counterfeit ring is working in the Brooklyn, New York, who are contacting
individuals and companies across the US who have placed a classified in a
commercial magazine called The Shutterbug.

Contact is made by phone.  Buyer knows that you have a high value listed
piece of equipment for sale.  The buyer has shown no concern of the
condition of the listed item, not does he ask the normal questions that a
person would ask.  The suspect's main concern is to get you to say yes to
the sell, have you ship the item to a address in Brooklyn area with the
understanding that either a Bank Cashier Check would be used to pay for the
item being shipped COD or that the Buyer has sent you a Bank Cashier Check
by Federal Express which you would received the day after the first contact.

- -2-

The item being purchased is actually being shipped primarily to a private
mail drop.   Just recently a private home address has been provided to two
potential victims.  A Cashier Check is left with the drop box owner or
clerk who, upon the delivery of the item by Federal Express, will pay for
the COD delivery with the box holder's Cashier Check.  The average size
Check has been $7,000.00.  The items being purchase by this group has been
camera equipment.  On several occasions, the buyer has forwarded a
Counterfeit Bank cashier check using Fedex as the carrier with a returned
pre-paid shipping order so the items being purchase will be shipped the
same day the check arrives to the seller.

Based on our findings to date, the following company names have been used
in this scam as well as the personal names. addresses, phone number used,
name of the bank on the cashier check, and the account number on the check.

 Business Name:
			NO LIMIT STUDIOS
			245 EIGHT AVENUE
			BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11236

			NO LIMIT PRODUCTIONS
			61 EAST 8TH STREET, SUITE 288
			BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 10003
			Phone: 212-502-0665

			NO LIMIT PRODUCTIONS
			1454 ROCKWAY PARKWAY, SUITE 354
			BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11236
			Phone: 212-502-0665

			A & D ENTERTAINMENT
			1454 ROCKWAY PARKWAY, SUITE 354
			BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11236
			Phone: 212-502-0665

			A & D ENTERTAINMENT
			526 LAGUARDIA PLACE
			NEW YORK, NEW YORK10012

In two recent occasions, only a personal name was used and the mailing
address turns out to be a private address:

			MR. ANDERSON
			1401 EAST 48TH ST
			BROOKLYN, NEW YORK 11234
			Phone: 917-465-3837

According to our information, the above address is onwed by JOHN J. ROSARIO
and purchased  June 3, 1989.  The value of the home is $200,000.00.  There
are two units at this address (2 stories).

- -3-

NAMES BEING USED:
			JOHN PETERSON
			ANTHONY PETERSON
			TODD PETERSON
			ROBERT SODO
			TOM PRICE
			V. MORGAN
			VIVAN MORGAN
			MARTIN MORGAN
			MARTIN T. MORGAN
			KENT MORGAN
			CHADD MORGAN
			CHAD MORGAN
			TIM EVANS

We are assuming that runners are being used to pick up the Federal Express
packages being left at the drop box.

BANK / CASHIER CHECK:

The same Bank Cashier Check and Account Number is being used or has been
used in each listed address above.

Bank:		FLEET BANK
Account Nbr:	0481001105
Check Nbr:	1594748
Same Check Nbr being used on different checks

Bank:		THE CHASE MANHATTAN BANK
Account Nbr:	000788031
Check Nbrs:	305006xxx
The last three (3) numbers have been in in series

We are requesting your assistance.  The Center is currently building a
criminal profile to be submitted to several Federal agencies and to a local
task force made up of representatives with local law enforcement agencies
and with several representatives from the FBI and Secret Service.

If you have any information or have knowledge of any information regarding
the above group or groups, please contact out office.  If you have been a
victim, please complete our CRIME REPORT FORM which can be found on our web
site at the following address: (http://www.ckfraud.org/repform.html).  A
copy of the                   CRIME REPORT is available by fax.

End Special Alert Report

Charles M. Bruce
Director

CHARLES M BRUCE
Director of Operations

E-MAIL
cbruce@ckfraud.org

(MAILING)
Post Office Box 80171
Charleston, SC 29416  USA

Office:	843-571-2143
Fax:	843-571-4349

EQUIPMENT BEING USED:

FORMAT: Macintosh
E-MAIL: Eudora

THE NATIONAL CHECK FRAUD CENTER
http://www.ckfraud.org/

Provides nationwide, updated multi-source intelligence to support local law
enforcement, Federal Agency, Financial and retail communities in the
detection, investigation, and the prosecution of known check fraud crimes.
Assistance is provided in the areas of CHECK FRAUD, FORGERY,
COUNTERFEITING, and WHITE COLLAR CRIMES.

NATIONAL CRIME ALERT NETWORK
http://www.ckfraud.org/network.html

CRIME REPORTING FORM
http://www.ckfraud.org/repform.html

Use this form to provide information and intellignece regarding the following:
Check Fraud - Forgery - Counterfeit Checks - Bank Fraud - Stolen Identity