Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Re: metering middle grey
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Apr 1999 18:38:30 -0700

If I wanted to throw myself into a panic before an important job a ways
back I would start comparing meters. If I wanted to screw up the job I
would start adjusting them to match up to each other.
My best bet then was to not throw myself into a panic but trust them.
My Meter on my TLR Rollei 2.8 F made the pictures I took with that
camera come out right. And so on. Each meter is made to make its camera
happy. Dumb? Dumb.
If I started worrying that these reading did not compare with my hand
held meter I would really be in bad shape.
But as someone undoubtably said or should have "There is an absolute reality"
Only a year ago I did an all meter check putting the results in a chart
thing made in Filemaker.
My Rollei 35 had the wrong battery in it which explained why its reading
was a couple of stops off from all others.
There are different schools of meters I discovered from my test. I saw patterns.
I think meters in camera think they are looking at zone 6 or one stop over.
Meters without batteries like the Rollei TLR, the Hasselblad crank and
the Gossen Pilot which  I suspect are all the same exact meter want an
extra stop in low light and take off a stop at the Beach.

A Grey card will give you any reading you want it too if you hold it at
the right angle.
My M6 agree's with my Minolta Spot F which agrees with most of my
Nikons. That calms me down a lot. I need much less tranquilizers.
Mark :-) Rabiner

"Why should I use a meter? What if the darn thing broke on me when I was
out making a photograph? Then what would I do?"
Brett Weston 1992