Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Adams, Weston, and... Welch?
From: Zeissleica@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 08:22:17 EST

In a message dated 3/21/99 1:14:20 AM Eastern Standard Time,
brucef@waw.pdi.net writes:

> I don't think HCB is an enemy of the wilderness, Eric.  I think what he
>  thought was that, as photographers, Adams and Weston were self-indulgent
and
>  escapist, and that a photographer needs to be in the world and of the
world.
>  I don't have his direct quote, but it was something like "The world is
going
>  to pot while Adams and Weston are out there pondering rocks."  As
>  technically beautiful as the typical landscape of Adams is, to me it is
like
>  a stage with no actors.  I appreciate the brilliance of both photographers,
>  I really do, but I think I understand where HCB was coming from there.
>
>  Regards,
>
>  Bruce Feldman
>  Warsaw

I believe it depends on your own frame of mind and skill set.

When I have created artistic forms of expression (not just photography), I
have had the most success with subject matter and compositions devoid of
obvious human content.  I have been largely frustrated with my "human"
compositions and rather than focus on "the human element", I have pursued
other angles.

But I do appreciate the skills of others that have this talent.

/Mitch