From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 1999 08:57:35 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

I have a serious point to make....yeah, I know, walt and a serious point?

Often the words "Leica" and "arrogant" or "elitist" are found together....NOT
just on the LUG, Not just recently...(I've been around Leica a helluva lot
longer than there has been a LUG, or home computers for that matter!)

It amuses me the way these word "associations" are constantly re-confirmed.
When I was in sales, the "Leica" folks were more demanding, less patient,
and were quick to remind us how 'important' their 'time' was...(the M.D. syndrome,
unless you're in HIS office...)

When in repair, they were always concerned for the "safety" of their camera,
the "cleanliness" of the place, etc....as if they or their camera was more
important than the guy paying the same repair bill on an old speed graphic!!
(BTW, their importance is EXACTLY the same, for those of you wondering)

Now, on the LUG, I get a kick out of seeing these "I'm gonna leave the group
if you do/don't do this or that!!!!"...."I'm serious, I'm leaving now"""...
I'm not kidding, I'm outta here"/../..

Let me reconfirm something for all of you.....You're just as important as
a street person....your little jewel piece of shit camera is just as important
to the rest of the world as a walkman....wherever you work, you're worth what
they pay you....unless they can find someone better, cheaper.  The repair to
your Leica is worth EXACTLY the same amount as the same repair to any other
camera.  I believe that if I die tomorrow, my wife, kid, a few friends, and
remaining family will suffer....the LUG? Nah....The school? maybe for a week.
Leica or Leica dealers or repair? won't even notice......

The moral?.....Rambling about "leaving" the Lug and why is like standing up in
a restaurant and proclaiming how the service/food/etc is unsatisfactory....
to several hundred satisfied customers!!!  NO one cares, and you look like a
damned idiot.....and you reconfirm that Leica folks are arrogant, self centered,
have an over-amplified sense of self worth, etc..........

If I leave a reflector (I have).....I just sign off......I left one for the
very same reasons all these whiners state....too much information of little
interest .... TO ME!!!!...not to the posters, not to the other readers, etc.
But I'll assure you, the posters didn't and don't care what the hell you're
interested in or not....

Cheerfully unimportant to most  folks,
Walt