Subject: RE: [Leica] Project '99 ? a picture a day!
From: "Khoffberg" <khoffberg@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 11:20:54 -0800

<snip 1>

But I have a real problem with the PAD quality requirement, the word
 "meaningful". Which brings us back to the source of this idea: what is the
reason of existence of our pictures ?

<snip 2>
I agree to much of what is being said about to the extent that:
I think this whole Meaningful PAD idea and thread is insipid.

Gee, I must have missed something.  I just thought the project sounded like
fun.  I guess the part that made sense to me was building a kind of personal
journal of 1999 thus the word meaningful was relevant only in that context.

I recall a photo essay from The National Geographic in the last year or so
made by a chap somewhere up in Michigan where he sought to shoot a single
"meaningful" frame a day for an extended period of time - I believe it was
solstice to solstice.  Stunning stuff.  Part of what made it so interesting
was the juxtaposition between discipline and meaning and art.  He made a
commitment to himself to do the project a certain way yet clearly it was
pointless if he was just going to take a picture just to tick it off as done
at the end of the day.

At the risk of quoting myself, I recently posted a lengthy contemplation on
the nature of art from a friend of mine.  He said in part:

I have seen lovely images made with a shoebox
pinhole camera and I have seen stuff made with some really high priced
gear that put me to sleep.  What makes it art and what makes it work is
between your ears.  Think whatever you think and take pics of what ever
inspires, amuses or looks funny or right and trust your gut instinct.  If
you are fortunate and it speaks to somebody else as well, it will say
something different to them anyway.

Seems relevant to the discussion.

Cheers

Kevin Hoffberg