Subject: RE: [Leica] Xray machines
From: "Jack F. Matlock" <jfmatlo@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 15:59:07 -0500

I have been in and out of about 80 airports in five continents
over the last couple of years and have never had any problem.  I
always pack my film, exposed or unexposed, in heavy-duty lead
bags, and carry them in my hand luggage.  Some 80% of the time
the X-Ray machine operators pass them without question.  About
one time out of five I am asked for a hand inspection, which
takes very little time.  The only real annoyance is when  they
insist (as they often do at Philadelphia) on checking every
camera.  When they do, they seem to be instructed just to take
off the lens cap and look through the camera.  That is probably
a fair test that an SLR is not filled with explosive, but the
guards have not been instructed that RF cameras might be
different.  Several times, they have peered intently through the
M-6 viewfinder to make sure they could see what was inside.  One
even asked me to take off the lens cap so he could see through
the finder.

But look at the bright side:  we really do want a safe flight,
and these security inspectors are probably not paid very much.

Jack Matlock
jfmatlo@ibm.net