Subject: [Leica] Australian Travels/T891
From: cummer@asiaonline.net
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:27:03 +0800

I wanted to thank on the LUG the several members who provided me with info
on looking for old Leicas in Melbourne and Sydney. My wife and I had a
wonderful time visiting Australia - at least those two cities - it was her
first visit, and we were treated to great food, wonderful wine, and very
thoughtful and helpful people. It is quite a contrast from Hong Kong - at
least in the service industry.
However, as predicted by some, the prices of used Leica were very high,
even given the excellent shape that most of the cameras and lenses seemed
to be in - low use, low humidity situations I guess. Still the shop keepers
were universally polite even though I didn't buy anything. I did find a new
CLE flash in Melbourne which I bought for less than a used one I bought in
Toronto last spring (C$80) KEH is selling them used for US$179 - so that
was a find. I used my CLE together with my 24 ASPH, 35 Summicron ASPH (it
fits the CLE and focusses fine - not like the regular Summicron which binds
in the focus from about 10 feet - and you can rotate the lens slightly to
bring up the 40mm frame line) and my 90 mm Elmarit. This is a very small
package with a lot of quality picture taking power. I used the camera on a
38 ft boat sailing in Sydney harbour on Saturday afternoon - it was like a
3D boat dodge -em video game  - there were so many boats and I got some
very nice back lit spinnaker sail shots with the 90. Very satisfying! Also
in Melbourne I had a drink with Alastair and Helen Firken (as Alastair has
already reported - thanks A and H) and we talked Leicas (and Rolleis) and
handled equipment. Alastair's close focus on the 15mm R is most impressive.
Speaking of Rolleis, I discovered that Alastair has a Rolleiwide - a model
I have coveted for a long time and in Sydney I managed to find one and buy
it which really made my trip. It is interesting how many LUGGERS are also
Rollei lovers - has something to do with craftmanship and old fashioned
quality perhaps. Marc James Small has been helping me date the Rolleiwide
(thank you Marc) but for those details please see the Rollei list.
On another topic, I and another local Hong Kong LUGGER, have ordered the
Yasuhara T891 and I am interested in advice as to what 50mm Leica (or
other) screw mount lens I should be in search of to attach to this camera.
Your opinions please!
Ordering a T891 is an interesting exercise. You have to fill out an order
form, pay a Yen5,000 deposit and then you get a reservation number. That
number will be drawn by lottery to allocate the December production. If you
haven't received a camera by March they are prepared to refund your
deposit. This seems very complicated to me but that is the procedure they
are using in Japan.
Best Regards
Howard Cummer.