Subject: Re: [Leica] Digilux = Fuji MX-700 = JVC GC-S5
From: "Paal Newman" <name7000@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 20:25:41 PDT

>Subject: [Leica] Digilux = Fuji MX-700 = JVC
GC-S5
<leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>

>Just finished reading the Sept 21 international
Newsweek issue. There is
>an advertisement section on photography and
electronic imaging.
>Two interesting things to note:

   If you are interesting...there's another OEM version of the Fuji
MX700, the Toshiba PDR-M1 (the worst name for a camera ever.)  The
features are exactly the same, but the appearance is different.  It's
not vertical design, so it's more like a normal camera and it takes 4 AA
batteries instead of the Li-ion rechargable.  It's suppose to be the
cheapest one.  I read it on www.imaging-resouce.com

   Beware the new 16 meg, 32 meg smart media card enploy new design in
which some digicams can't use them (like the current/old Oly cameras)
PDR-M1 can use new cards, I can't remember if MX-700 can.

   I didn't know there's a JVC version of the MX-700.  Have fun.

                        CY

>- an advertisement for the JVC GC-S5 digital
camera with megapixel
>quality, which is another disguise for the Fuji
MX-700 (like the Leica
>Digilux). But.... this time you get at least an 8
MB smartmedia card
>instead of a 2 MB card with the Digilux (2 MB
gives you only ... 2 shots
>at the highest quality setting!). Plus you get a
floppy disk adapter so
>that you can download your images from your
smartmedia card instead of
>via serial connection. And this is included in
the basic package. The
>camera has the same design as the FX-700 (unlike
the small finishing
>changes with the Digilux). Now I wonder how much
it would cost in
>comparison to the Fuji MX-700 and Digilux.
>
>- on the section "new and notable at Photokina
'98", one can note the
>following excerpt:
>"Leica Digilux Digital Compact. Leica pioneered
the 35mm format camera
>and has been associated with excellence in
photography ever since.
>Leica's introduction of "megapixel" digital
camera is a sure sign that
>electronic imaging is coming of age. The new
Leica Digilux offers the
>same compact size and uncompromising quality that
has made Leica cameras
>among the most-sought-after collector's items in
all of photography. In
>both appearance and operation -including the
optical viewfinder and
>operating controls such as programmed automatic
exposure control and
>autofocus- the Digilux owes much to Leica's
high-end viewfinder camera
>designs. But instead of 35mm film, this Leica
uses a 1.5 million
>picture-point CCD to record high-resolution, 24
bit color images.
>Pictures taken with the Digilux can be viewed on
the camera's built-in
>two-inch color monitor, displayed on a TV screen
or sent to a Pc where
>they can be edited and printed."
>
>I wonder if the writers realized they were
talking about nothing else
>than a Fuji camera instead... It seems all the
credit for using the
>experience of the M rangefinder series should go
to Fuji, and not to
>Leica. I am sure the Digilux is a fine camera,
but let's be honest, it is

- -------
- -------
>Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium
notebooks for lunch
- -------