Subject: Re: [Leica] Summilux 80mm f1,4 - was: Optical Reference Standards
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 00:31:13 +0100

John McLeod wrote:

>Could you elaborate a bit more on what it is you like about the 80/1.4.
>You comment on the handling with the R8 and on the advantages of having the
>wider apertures at your disposal, but is there something about the quality
>of the 80/1.4 images that you prefer over the 100 APO, despite the APO's
>sharpness superiority?

John,

I don't like to do that.
Ted will do that much, much better than me, and Erwin will tell us
if our impressions are real or only an effect of our imagination.

All I can say is that - IMO - the 80/1,4 is more subtle, less "cutting".
I like it better for portrait and some landscapes.
But maybe only because it's a f 1,4 lens. I don't know.
It's difficult to translate in a foreign language
a totally unscientific impression.(But real for me)
I feel the same impression when I compare the Summilux M 75/1,4
and the Elmarit M 90/2,8.
Except - and it seem that I'm the only one - that I don't feel
as confortable with the M6 + 75mm combination.
Don't ask why. ;-)

Conclusion: the R8 + 80/1,4 suit me better for what I like to do for the
moment.

Lucien