Subject: [Leica] [OFF TOPIC] This guy's M6 !
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 06:48:28 -0400

>Joseph Codispoti wrote:
[ . . . ]
>> Do you believe that a thief cares a rats=92 tail if a camera is a Leica o=
>> anything else? Besides, an experienced thief would not be fooled by any
>> attempt at deception.

	1/ When you buy something in the future,
	ask yourself "What would a thief prefer to get
	in a night's work for this type of equipment ?".

	"It's a SONY Trinitron."
	"It's an IBM."
	"It's a Rolex."00
	"It's a BMW."
	"It's a Leica."

	Then, you'll have a MUCH BETTER image
	of the REAL VALUE of what you are up to buy,
	or, for the Lucky Dogs, what you already use.

	Be paranoid all you want, such is the price of Glory.

	But you better be decided to enjoy the thing
	to its last screw while you've got it in your
	possession, which may well be the rest of your life.

	Or, it might be "gone" the very next day.

	Such is life, . . . nowadays !

	2/ When they come out, do peek at my works
	"Conspicuous Consumption" and "Selling High Ticket Items".
	Either you'll be totally obfuscated or totally enthralled.

	It's a matter of attitude.

	Just be aware that you, as a Leica user, are a total
	delight for the sociologist in me.
	Marketing, avertising, sales psychology, criminology
	are some of my "hobbies", among numerous others,
	but you can't escape the view of my camera as
	Leica user. You may be a great and respected pro.
	You may be just someone who hopes his camera gear
	will finally allow him or her to get really good photos
	just from owning it. You may be the ultimate
	communication arts wizard,
	BUT: you simply can't escape the view of my camera
	as Leica user.
	It may not "look" like you, but you'll sure feel like
	it's you.

	To me, high end items are just better made toys.
	It could be your trans-pacific Dassault Falcon 900x,
	it could be your Dufour "Classic" sailboat.
	It could be your fur coat in California.
	It could be your case of imported beer.
	It could be your $25K audio system.

	But it's all a game, in the end.

	Don't fool yourself: YOU are toying in a fancy
	sand box called  "the marketplace".

	The object you buy is an interface device
	to relate to others, another aspect of your
	identity.

	And, as far as i'm concerned it's just totally
	wonderful just like that. There absolutely
	no lack of respect whatsoever, save for a
	slightly scornful feel, but it's very exactly
	like "The Emperor's New Clothes" story.

	You dress yourself up and there's a Leica
	as part of  your suit, the way you show yourself,
	your Self, to the World. And it's 100% OK !

	You'd be stark naked on Madison Avenue,
	or the Champs Elysees, or  Piazza St Peter in Rome [ ! ],
	with two Leica M6s dangling from your neck,
	M & M style,
	that you'd remain a wonderful being
	worth exploring in and out:
	As marketing statistic,
	as philosophical object, as photo subject.

	As for that photo of "you", naked, with 2 wonderful
	Leica Ms, a Rolex, a pirate style earring,
	pretending to be "politically correct",
	a Havana cigar, an empty wallet like mine,
	it's not the nakedness that's the focus,
	it's not the copper tone suntan you finally managed
	to get yourself, it's not the import beer you prefer,
	it's not the paraphernalia you surround your Self
	with to relate to the Universe that matters:
	it's you, the consumer, the human being
	struggling to survive meaninglessness,
	or chaos, it's the structures conjure up
	that are so wonderful.

	I'm no fool: of all people, do i ever know
	what a Leica can do ? But, in the end,
	i'm forever more interested in what
	it STANDS for, to you, to your referent group,
	to the World, as experienced by YOU,
	the human being in THERE, knocking his (her)
	head on his monitor, laughing madly at my post,
	or shocked in total disbelief
	at my contemptuous irreverence,
	suddenly aware there's someone checking you out
	on the other side of the mirror . . . ,
	at the "other end" of that Internet pipeline.

	Not so much cynical as complacently sarcastic,
	"that" participant-observer, enjoying madly
	the way we all conjure, caricature and mimick
	images of Reality as consumers, both of
	products and self-images and roles espoused.

	It's not YOUR Leica i'm interested in, in the end,
	looking at you from the corner of my "evil" amused eye,
	with  my telephoto, eventually (oops ! ) :
	it's your diligent willingness to
	sacrifice more immediate "pleasures of life"
	for something you finally believe in,
	something with a hoped-for "real value"
	built-in, which i truly respect, as, for instance,
	a Leica camera system
	in this earthbound zoo of ours.

	The fun part is that Leica users most often
	have enough subtlety to fully appreciate
	the above and derive a true measure of pleasure
	just from the savouring himself (herself)
	as thus observed and fully enjoy the process altogether
	. . . and already be busy planning a "revenge" !
	There's a lot more to upmanship . . .

	People. like YOU, with enough of a sense of humour
	who can fully enjoy and revel in the thought
	of Bill Clinton having quick sex with a flirtatious Monica,
	all President of the USA that he may be,
	jumping the norms of acceptability,
	a sinful instant of absolute freedom,
	pants down and all, right in the Oval Office,
	both elated for a moment of lustful escape,
	much too short,
	with a dozen bugs trumpeting all the lurid
	and lascivious moanings of Slick Willy
	caught in the act we ALL enjoy so much, all told,
	deliberately, purposefully, unabashadly
	giving the World what it's secretly
	been waiting for: real enticing excitement ,
	"LIVE" from the Oval Office !

	If only the CNN guys would have dared !

	;+>)

	What's a Leica for, anyway ?

	It may be a chunk of Life,
	BUT it sure is YOU pants down . . . !

	Have a Great Week !

	Andr=E9 Jean Quintal

	PS:  N-O-W you understand why "they" 'd come
	out with a 120 mm : just for the heck of it !
		- "What 120 mm ?"
		- "There's NEVER been a 120 mm."
	How much would you bet that there's a brightline
	for a new 120mm in the upcoming M6/TTL . . . ?

	PS2: See how you can be a  world class tourist
	in your own backyard !

"He looked like lightning,
his robe was white as snow" . . .
Matth 28 : 3