Subject: Re: [Leica] M6HM opinion
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@es.UCSC.EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:15:42 -0800

>I finally gathered the courage ( and money) to purchase a new M6HM and two
>Summicrons. My initial impression of the viewfinder with the 35mm is that
>it takes a little getting used to, due to the fact that one must "roll"
>ones eye around the viewfinder to see the bright line frame, which at first
>seemed slightly annoying. However, I find that this small disadvantage
>outweighs the HM's  obvious advantages. With the 50mm it's great and I
>presume (magni)ficent with the  longer the focus lengths.
>
>Eric

I'm also getting used to the HM. I'm finding that if you concentrate on the
scene and use your peripheral vision the frame lines are visible without
searching for them. This is a bit different than the regular M6, but works
quite well. It makes the 35mm a more intimate feeling lens since the scene
almost fills the viewfinder. I haven't worked with it enough yet to know if
this intimacy will lead to different results at that focal length. I do
know that adjusting to the 35mm framelines is not a drawback in my
experience. And the advantages at 50 and 90mm are very real. The contrast
of the new viewfinder is wonderful. I'm going to have many happy years with
this camera, I believe.

- -Charlie

             Charles E. Dunlap
         Earth Sciences Department
          University of California
            Santa Cruz, CA 95064
Tel.: (408) 459-5228    Fax.: (408) 459-3074

         mailto:cdunlap@es.ucsc.edu